Re: [Xen-users] How to boot a DomU from CDrom ?

To: Pierre Gentile <pgen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to boot a DomU from CDrom ?
From: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:16:42 +0200 (MEST)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:17:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> I'm wondering if there is a method to install a DomU by booting from a
> CD (real or iso image). VmWare permit this
>
> The objective is to install my virtual machines by using the same
> CD image as the real ones. This CD is a customizes Centos 4.3 build
>
> I'm using non vmx hardware and xen 3.0.2 on a Centos 4.3 Dom0
>
> the options cdrom and boot seems to only work with vmx or pacifica
> hardware, am I wrong ?

Generally you are right.
I don't know if the cd booting stuff works on non-vmx hardware, if not, you
could copy the iso's contents into some partition or vbd file. But you won't
get a cd running which has no xen kernel on it. To achieve this, you could
make a cd containing a domU kernel matching your dom0.

Henning