[Xen-users] bonding, ethtool and live migration

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] bonding, ethtool and live migration
From: Markus Hochholdinger <Markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:57:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:59:14 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

i'm having here the problem with bonding and crcchecksum. So as i read the
mailing list the solution is to run
  ethtool -K eth0 tx off
inside domU. So my domU is reachable. All is fine.

But after i migrate (live) the domU to another machine the complete domU
stopped. Und I also had one time this ugly Zombie thing in xm list and
couldn't reboot the machine (only power off/on helped).

If i don't do "ethtool -K eth0 tx off" inside the domU i can make live
migration of the domU to the other machines. (so storage connection works.)

Has anyone who is also using ethtool the same problem or should it work as
expected? My last solution would be to make a xenbr0/1 over my two network
adapters and make the bonding inside domU. Or would this cause more trouble
(beside the performance loss)?

I'm using xen-3.0.1 (stable!?) with two dell poweredge 1850 with two 3.2 GHz
Xeons, 8 GB RAM (pae version of xen) and four Intel(R) PRO/1000 as xen hosts.

I build xen with
  make XEN_TARGET_X86_PAE=y world
  make XEN_TARGET_X86_PAE=y install
only modified the kernel config before for my needs (md inside domU)
  linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/xen/configs/xenU_defconfig_x86_32
232c232,242
< # CONFIG_MD is not set
---
> CONFIG_MD=y
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
> CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
> CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
> CONFIG_MD_RAID1=y
> CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
> CONFIG_MD_RAID5=m
> CONFIG_MD_RAID6=m
> CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
> CONFIG_MD_FAULTY=m
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=n
and bonding in dom0
  linux-2.6-xen-sparse/arch/xen/configs/xen0_defconfig_x86_32
600c600
< # CONFIG_BONDING is not set
---
> CONFIG_BONDING=m

I set up the bond0 and the xenbr0 manually and deactivated the network-bridge
script. I modified nothing else of the xen installation. I'm using Debian 3.1
(sarge) as dom0 and domU.

It would be great if someone could give me some pointers.

PS: I'm in doubt if xen 3.0.1 is really stable!?

--
thanks and greetings

eMHa