Re: [Xen-users] /lib/tls.disable vs. software requiring tls

To: Christophe Yayon <lists@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] /lib/tls.disable vs. software requiring tls
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:57:15 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 21:58:03 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:11, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> but what about tomcat ? I use jre (java binary) which is linked to tls
> (thread local storage) :
>
> ldd /opt/jre/bin/java
>          linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
>          libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7f34000)
>          libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0xb7f30000)
>          libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0xb7df9000)
>          /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f4b000)
>
> when i start a tomcat instance in a xen domU, i get lot of processes
> instead a single (but multi-threaded) process ?

Thats because in the old thread library each thread got its own process ID,
the kernel had only little support for threads, so it had to be done that
way.
(With nptl, they still have an own PID, but its hidden from the userspace
better)

Without xen, nptl provides a huge speed boost to threaded applications (esp
Java), so you really should try to get a xen-compilant NPTL glibc running.
=> no speed loss from xen emulating TLS, but all the benefits from futexes,
fast context switch between threads, ...

So, moving /lib/tls away is just a quick workarround, installing a "fixed"
glibc is a solution.

/Ernst