Re: [Xen-users] xen on amd64 or intel

as far as i understand (i may be wrong here too) vt and pacifca support some operations in hardware (or plan to do so in matching chipsets), which earlier had to done in software (e.g. device i/o virtualization, mmu virtualization), from which one could expect at least some perfomance gain. but since the overall xen peformance is already close to non virtualized hardware, maybe it's not really worth waiting for (in case of linux). On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 23:49:54 +0100, Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Friday 10 March 2006 9:23 am, Daniel Goertzen wrote:
and pacifica extensions will do nothing for you.  Also (someone correct
me if I'm wrong), Xen aware linux is faster than fully virtualized linux.

i guess you're right on this, and also there are some limitations on the qemu emulation of hard drive controllers. i'm not sure if it's the same on Xen,
but at least qemu 0.8 doesn't do LBA48, therefore the virtual drives are
limited to 137GB (or 128GiB)