Re: [Xen-users] xen on amd64 or intel

Am Donnerstag, den 09.03.2006, 22:50 +0100 schrieb aschiefer@xxxxxx:
> hello,
> maybe i was writing a bit to amd marketing like, excuse me for that. they
> want to integrate pacifica into all their "newly released" processor,
> which means the processors are not yet available. the link is
> http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~104860,00.html,
>
> but the thing you are probably most interested in is(quote):
> AMD?s I/O virtualization technology is expected to be supported by all
> AMD processors in mid-2006, and is also anticipated to be implemented in
> chipsets and core logic designed for AMD64-based platforms in 2006. The
> AMD I/O virtualization technology specification download, together with
> technology overviews and guidance to software developers who are
> designing virtualization solutions for 64-bit technology, can be found
> at http://developer.amd.com.

Thanks again.

But I think there are currently no real devices available you can buy
with pacifica-support.

So I think I will have to compare opterons without pacifica support to
intel cpus with vanderpool-support, because I can currently buy such
cpus.

So how can those cpus be compared, if I need a system with 4 gb of ram?
Giving more than 2 GB to a single userspace process on an 32 bit system
can be quite difficult. Does an opteron cpu run fine with xen 3.0 in 64
bit mode, with some 32 bit guests, without any hardware accelleration?