[Xen-users] Shutdown/destroy VMX-guest

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Shutdown/destroy VMX-guest
From: Thorolf Godawa <nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:13:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:14:13 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear group,

how do I shutdown a Windows-VMX-guest correctly?

If I make it like the doku says, I shutdown Windows and then I make a "xm destroy" (or "xm shutdown"), the loop-devices this VM used are still blocked.

If I do this some times I can't start any VMs anymore, because there are no more free loop-devices! Same often happens if a domU crashes.

How can I release these unused loop-devices?

How can I create more loop-devices, the following way is NOT working:

Kernel Parameters: max_loop=16

# mknod /dev/loop$8 b 7 $8
# chown root.disk /dev/loop$8
# chmod 640 /dev/loop$8

And the last question:
How do I disconnect from a console?
I found the following but it's not working with OpenSSH from OS/2, in the Linux-shell and under Gnome:

You can detach from a console using the escape character: <CTRL> ']'.
On a German keyboard try <CTRL> '5' if the above doesn't work.
This works both in Putty and gnome-terminal.

Thanks a lot for your answer,
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf