Re: [Xen-users] External modem in domU

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 14:23 -0500, John S Little wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Is it possible to use an external modem in a domU?  I read several posts,
> most notably the one below,  but didn't see anything recently.  If it's
> possible is the an example config somewhere?
>
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-08/msg00602.html1
>

> Regards,
>
> John Little
> Hendricks Regional Health IS Department
> 317-718-4752
> jslittl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.hendrickshospital.org

John,

If your serial ports are on a separate PCI card, you could use the
functionality in Xen 2.0.x or in the xen-unstable tree to put that PCI
card in your domU. There's some documentation for this in the Xen user
manual now. This would probably be the easiest solution.

If you have built-in serial ports... it will probably be harder. You'll
need to manually specify to Xen which i/o ports and which IRQ to give to
the domU. Xen 3.0.1 and later (maybe 3.0.0, I'd have to double-check
when the functionality was introduced) have support for sharing i/o
ports and interrupts, however there is no xend component for setting up
the interrupt sharing (see tools/python/xen/xend/server/iopif.py for the
i/o ports part). If you're interested in experimenting and building your
own tools, I have some experimental code for adding the interrupt
configuration support to xend that I may be able to post on the list.

Ryan