Re: [Xen-users] Backend drivers

To: jaikumar Ganesh <jaikumarg@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Backend drivers
From: Anthony Liguori <aliguori@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:15:52 -0600
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:28:32 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jaikumar Ganesh wrote:
Hi All
   I am currently looking to log all the disk and network related
accesses that guest domains make. I was looking to log them at the
backend driver on Domain 0. Any pointers to the files/functions that I
must look at?
First, please don't cross-post to xen-devel/xen-users.  It's impolite.

I'm not sure what granularity of logging you wish to do, but if you want to see how much activity there is (which I reckon is what you really want), then I suggest taking a peek at /sys/class/net/vif<domid>.<vifnum>/statistics/[rt]x_bytes for the network activity.

The disk activity can be found by looking at the /sys/block/<device>/stat. The format of that file is:

reads read_merges read_sectors read_ticks writes write_merges write_sectors write_ticks in_flight io_ticks time_in_queue

You'll have to find a way to figure out which devices are used by which domains. If you've got multiple domains using the same device, I'm not sure if there's a way to identify which domains has contributed to what IO operations...

Regards,

Anthony Liguori
Thanks
Jaikumar