RE: [Xen-users] Can't get Xen to see > 4 GB

To: "Fong Vang" <sudoyang@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Can't get Xen to see > 4 GB
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 11:22:34 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:35:09 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As Liberio hinted, you need to either use the PAE feature of the
processor in Xen and Linux, or use 64-bit Xen and Linux.

---Here's an old answer---
You'll need to use either PAE or 64-bit version of Xen and Dom0. It's
not too difficult to change it. .../xen/arch/x86/Rules.mk: set pae ?= y
And configure the kernel to CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G in your .../xen/linux*0
Goto your root of Xen (...), and do "make clean world".

64-bit would be my preferred solution, which is just as easy - but
you'll need to re-install the base OS to be a 64-bit OS [not REALLY, but
that's the EASY way to do it. If you want to do it the hard way, I'm
sure there's places where they explain how to cross compile the kernel
and Xen, then boot 64-bit with mostly 32-bit software around it - but I
would think that's a lot more work than it's worth].

There's probably a 64-bit precompiled image somewhere. I'm not sure if
there's a PAE version available precompiled.
---End old answer---

Hope this helps.

--
Mats