Re: [Xen-users] Getting the Dom0 hostname from within a DomU ?

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 14:23 +0100, pierre.gentile@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a way from within a DomU to obtain the hostname of the
> associated Dom0 ?
>
> We need this because we want to know at every moment on which host the
> DomU is located

Hopefully you can't! If the encapsulation of the guest OS works well, it
should be impossible to find such an information from within the domU.

If you don't plan to do migrations, you can put a file with the dom0's
hostname into the domU's filesystem from dom0.
If you have multiple xen servers running and use the migration feature,
and need to know on which of those a specific domU is running at a
random moment in time, the xen webserver on the dom0 host can give you
of such information. When you enable it, run a webbrowser on the server
to the URL
http://localhost/xend/domain/ - there you'll see which domains a machine
is hosting.
You could easily establish a machine which collects this information
from all your servers to have the information which domain runs on which
host centralized.

Henning