RE: [Xen-users] Re: Minimal kernel for domU

To: "Rickard Borgmäster" <doktorn@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Re: Minimal kernel for domU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:24:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:35:18 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe that current Xen (3.0, testing, unstable, etc) do not support Kernel
2.4. It's probably not A LOT of work to make it work, but it's still some work.

However, I have a feeling that the difference in Kernel size wouldn't be THAT
great - if you minimize the 2.6 kernel, how much bigger is it compared to a 2.4
kernel? I don't know the answer, but I would think that the KERNEL itself isn't
that much difference - 2.6 has MORE FEATURES that you can turn on (or off), but
once you've got the same feature-set, I would think [I'm guessing!] that the
size difference isn't very much.

Are you planning on running VERY many domains with small memory footprint?

Consider that the page-tables for just mapping the memory once in a 1GB system
takes up one megabyte [or two  megabytes if you use PAE]. Obviously, if you're
running multiple tasks, each task would have some amount of page-table entries,
possibly including duplicate ones for user-mode mappings of shared memory
regions and in some cases also duplicates for the kernel space memory.

--
Mats