Re: [Xen-users] iSCSi on Xen

I'm booting dom0 via PXE with iSCSI root and also the domUs use iSCSI root. The latest syslinux is required for booting Xen kernels via PXE. The most stable iSCSI initiator I've found was Core-iSCSI (see http://lwn.net/Articles/163608/) built against the Xen 3.0 release kernel sources (don't forget ARCH=xen when building the module!). For the target I'm using IET (http://sourceforge.net/projects/iscsitarget/) built against the latest FC4 kernel (2.6.14-1.1653). I've been running this for some number of weeks and it's pretty solid. Performance is also good. In theory, this also means I could migrate the guests around the network transparently, but I haven't tested that yet. The only catch with the software based iSCSI initiator is I had to roll a highly customized initrd which logs into the iSCSI target(s) and in the case of dom0 brings up the bridge. I setup the initrd in such a way that I can pass kernel parameters to tell domU/dom0 which targets to login to. Hope that helps..

Dan-

Ian Pratt wrote:

> Has anyone been successful in installing and running iSCSI in
domain0?
If so, I would like to know your configuration -

I'm running xen 3.0 (kernel 2.6.12) and have tried linux-iscsi 4.x & 5.x, open iscsi and unh-iscsi. Most have some compile issues, once resolved they will stack dump when doing some iSCSI operations

I used to use linux-iscsi 4.x on xen -unstable just fine, but I haven't
tried in quite a while. [Some earlier versions did make various dubious
assumptions that weren't true on xen.]

One option would be to try the xen merge tree which is currently based
off the 2.6.15-rc6, and hence includes the open iscsi patches.

http://xenbits.xensource.com/ext/linux-2.6-merge.hg

I haven't tried this, but would be interested to hear whether it works,
and would like to fix it if it doesn't.
Ian