Re: [Xen-users] Dell PowerEdge 6800 hangs from time to time with dom0 on

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Dell PowerEdge 6800 hangs from time to time with dom0 only
From: Luke <secureboot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:56:24 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:58:54 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dec 22, 2005, at 3:12 PM, Sergey Lukashevich wrote:

It turns hard to make XEN 3.0 running on my middle-sized server.

Now when XEN 3.0 is released I first successfully put it on several PCs and then decided to probe it on SMP and PAE enabled Dell PowerEdge 6800 server. And experienced intermittent hangs just after dom0 comes up. The [login:] prompt comes up and the server hangs completely for a while and in some 2-10 minutes releases just to let me see it is OK and in a few minutes hangs again. Everything is hang - the keyboard and the network. When it is released -- everything seems fine again. Possibly bugzilla could help me but unfortunately the server is under production system and I have not many tries to reboot it.

I was having problems on a Dell PowerEdge as well - appending nousb to grub's boot options did the trick for me - have you tried that?

so one line of menu.lst might look like:

module /vmlinuz-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/hda2 ro nousb

Also, google for PowerEdge Dell Xen, and you'll see that some other folks have been having problems as well - nousb fixed mine, however.