Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Fedora-xen] Difficulties using the Fedora Core 4

To: Ian Pratt <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RE: [Fedora-xen] Difficulties using the Fedora Core 4
From: Daniel Veillard <veillard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 10:46:17 -0500
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Leonardo Pinto <listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen Users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Fedora Xen <fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:49:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Dec 22, 2005 at 11:45:06PM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > > becomes unstable. I am now testing the same HD with kernel
> > > 2.6.12-1.1454_FC4.i686 in another machine (AMD Duron(tm)
> > Processor),
> > > and following the tip of the friend I incapacitated
> > "acpi=off". Until the moment all good is going...
> >
> >   yes there have been feedbacks on the xen user list about
> > acpi=off, noapic and 'swiotlb=force swiotlb=8m' kernel
> > arguments fixing some bugs raised in recent Xen-3.0 versions.
> > It's not fully cooked :-)
>
> swiotlb=force/8m should *not* be required with xen 3.0.0, only with
> pre-release versions of the -unstable tree (such as the RH FC4 RPMs).
>
> The vast majority of machines seem to work fine with acpi/apic enabled
> -- I've only seen a handful of people say they've needed to turn them
> off, and several of these have found that the problem goes away if they
> updated their BIOS. I would like to get to the bottom of these reports,
> though.
>
> Although Xen doesn't run on all the huge range of PC hardware that Linux
> does, it does seem to run fine on a very large subset, in particular the
> vast majority of modern server class hardware.

  It certainly do run fine on my laptop :-)

The "fully cooked" applied to what we just pushed on fedora rawhide
channel, this is the merge branch and with the Fedora set of config
options also using rawhide kernel. I replied in this context (and didn't
see the Cc' to xen-user which had been added), I didn't want to offence !

Daniel

veillard@xxxxxxxxxx  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/