Re: [Xen-users] Xen VMs on GFS volumes

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005, Anders Bruun Olsen wrote:
Since the root partitions for my virtual machines doesn't need to be mounted in more than one place at a time, I guess I don't really need a clustering filesystem on them. Am I correct? How about live migration, is it okay to just have the blockdevice available on both machines at the same time, or does that require a clustering filesystem?

Again, my setup is with an iscsi storage box (an IBM DS300) which both machines has access to. If I don't run a clustering filesystem and mount the same device on both machines, I run into trouble (obviously). But I am not sure if a partition containing a VM actually needs to be mounted two places at the same time, or if it just really quickly unmounts on the first dom0 and mounts it on the second?

What I'm doing is using CLVM on the Xen dom0's, and creating LV's (formatted as XFS) for each of the domU's. I then have a few GFS file systems (also LV's) that get shared between some of the domU's, but only ones that need access to them.

Works quite well.