Re: [Xen-users] Xen VMs on GFS volumes

To: PAINCHAUD Christophe <cpainchaud@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen VMs on GFS volumes
From: Anders Bruun Olsen <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 10:07:38 +0100
"x-pgp-key: http://random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD4DEFED0"
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 09:08:42 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:40:34AM +0100, PAINCHAUD Christophe wrote:
> >Why is it trying to mount it as reiserfs when it is in fact gfs?
> >Any way to make it mount it as gfs?
> Does it say it is GFS in fstab ? Anyway, how are you supposed to mount your

I does not reach the point where it even knows about fstab - it is when
the kernel tries to mount the root partition.

> GFS volume if your VM have not joined a GFS/CLUSTER network yet (or you
> disable the locking method?).

I thought about that too (and thinking about it again, I can see where I
might have been too optimistic about this setup) - my two dom0 machines
both run the gfs/clustering software, so I basically assumed that dom0
would handle all locking. That is of course not realistic, I can see
that now.

Since the root partitions for my virtual machines doesn't need to be
mounted in more than one place at a time, I guess I don't really need a
clustering filesystem on them. Am I correct?
How about live migration, is it okay to just have the blockdevice
available on both machines at the same time, or does that require a
clustering filesystem?

Again, my setup is with an iscsi storage box (an IBM DS300) which both
machines has access to. If I don't run a clustering filesystem and mount
the same device on both machines, I run into trouble (obviously). But I
am not sure if a partition containing a VM actually needs to be mounted
two places at the same time, or if it just really quickly unmounts on
the first dom0 and mounts it on the second?

--
Anders