Re: [Xen-users] Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)
From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:21:35 +1300
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:21:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 12/1/05, John R. Shannon <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm in the middle of a server consolidation project simular to the one you're
> comtemplating. In my case, I procurred new hardware to ensure that my old
> servers could function during the process if setting up and testing the new
> Xen-based server. You may have simular considerations.

Yes - i guess we do!

> My plans calls for 7 user domains plus domain0. I have three user domains
> completed and have the Xen-domain based http/https server online. A supplier
> shipped one SCSI disk, instead of two, so I'm awaiting the arrival of a
> second disk to complete the project.

By user domains, i take it that this is a domU? (sorry - new to this).
If so, we would be looking at 5 user domains. 1: web/ftp 2: dbmail 3:
smtp 4: pop/imap 5: dns on a single server (server1).

I would keep my mysql server as a separate server... but could make
this server a Xen server (server2) as well, with the 1 domU running
mysql. This could also be used to move domU's from sever1 if need be
(fail over?). Thoughts here?

Also, what about backup implications of each domU, how is this best
achieved? A third server to backup all the domU's from each server1
and server2?

Any input is greatly appeicated.

Regards,

Simon