[Xen-users] Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen for network services (aka web/mail/dns etc)
From: Simon <greminn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:49:43 +1300
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:49:38 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi There,

We are looking to consolidate/upgrade our hosting platform equipment
early next year (Jan/Feb). Currently we have our main mysql server,
which runs dual Xeon EM64T processors, 4GB of RAM and a 500GB RAID 5
array. The rest of the equipment is odds and ends - the reason why we
are looking to upgrade.

Within our platform, we run apache/php/asp ,mysql ,mail
(SMTP/POP/IMAP) and dns servers which we provide to our wholesale
clients.

I was just down the path of configuring up multiple IBM xseries 306
rack servers to replace all by the mysql server (above) and then...
Xen.

My question is: we have a good mysql server which is underutilised...
could this server be changed to a Xen server and perform well given
the processor type?

If we were to leave this as the mysql/storage server, and look at
purchasing some new gear for a xen server  (to replace the other 4-6
'real' servers) - what are the suggestions on hardware? We use debian
on all servers.

Thanks

Simon