RE: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 Test CD v1 released

To: "Richard Wackerbarth" <richard@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] xen 3.0 Test CD v1 released
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:22:03 -0000
Cc: ian.pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:22:05 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Dave,
>
> I got the same reaction when I first tried it. I was using
> one of the later partitions for the XenTest data.
> When I changed that to the first partition (a /boot area that
> has extra space) everything worked as expected.
>
> So I'm wondering if the error is really coming from an
> attempt to read the HD for test status.
>
> Richard

We now understand this issue with the CD, and it turns out to be a bug
in grub (bug #14407). Grub's partition table handling doesn't reset
itself properly when going from an "extended" DOS partition on a HDD to
accessing a CD, and ends up trying to read from the CD at the same
offset as the logical partition table was on the drive. :(

Workarounds:

 - Don't use an extended partition to save the state directory.

 - Edit the boot commands to issue "root (hd0,0)" just before "root
(cd)",
   which should unstick the partition table pointer.  You'd have to do
   this on every boot, though. :(

Thanks,
Ian