[Xen-users] unexpected dom0 shutdown

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] unexpected dom0 shutdown
From: "Mathias Diehl" <md@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:27:46 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:27:34 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
g'day

since a couple of weeks I run on Debian Sarge the latest stable XEN. During
installation and testing at home everthing went fine. Then I brought the server
to a server housing and my problems began...

Suddenly I faced unexpected shutdowns of the entiere system. I checked the logs
and they just told me nothing at all. No kernel panic, no I/O errors, just
running up to a certain point - and the next was the log entry regarding the
reboot.

I already posted these experiences and someone advised to higher dom0 Mem from
64M to 128M. Well - I followed his advise but no changes. Sometime the system
was running for some days, sometimes just for hours. Actually I was not able to
get a connection between what I did and the "automatic shutdown". I was so
desperate that I changed the entiere hardware (except the hd) because I was
afraid about a broken board.. but still no changes.

But today I found the following thread (as below) and now I remembered that I
connected via ssh to dom0 yesterday, played around (started and stopped some
domains....) and this morning the sever was gone again.

So - if my server breaksdown because of something as below (well - I don't have
USB but PCI cards) where's the place to check that? or might it be possible
that XEN shutsdown on it's own? Any idea where to look for a reason of my
machines behavior....

any help is appreciated

Hi,

Im running Xen testing downloaded yesterday (14 August), with Debian
stable as the Xen0, and a dd'ed copy of my old Mandrake install in
DomU.

I have my own kernel (built to support DVB cards and USB).

I am running the kernel-xen0 in both dom0 and domU (because I cannot
find multimedia devices in the kernel config for XenU and dont know
enough about kernel building to work out why). This seems to work.

I have 1 problem however - im not sure if its related to USB use (I
didnt get it before I 'passed through' the USB to DomU, but didnt run
that many tests), but when I shutdown domU (mandrake), it shuts down
right up to the point where it says 'Power Off'. At that point, Dom0
is frozen, not responding to network, no screen output (may have been
on screensaver before), and no keyboard response.

Im guessing that I just need to disable power management in the domU
so it doesnt try to power down - anyone know how to do that? is it a
kernel param in the xen .cfg file? something like noacpi?

Anyone know why I cant find multimedia devices in the KernelU config?

Did you hide the USB Device from Dom0? Sounds like a problem that I experienced
when testing network cards.

The guest kernel tries to shutdown the USB device although it is still in use
in dom0 and thus crashes the whole system. It's just a guess. So look for

kernel /boot/xen-2.0.7.gz dom0_mem=262144 physdev_dom0_hide=(00:04.0)

in your menu.lst and hide your own PCI address that is used by your USB Host
controller if you did not already do so.

=>physdev_dom0_hide=("YourDeviceHere")

Regards,

Andreas