Re: [Xen-users] xen and ubuntu on laptop

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] xen and ubuntu on laptop
From: Jeb Campbell <jebc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:15:36 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 14:13:00 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric S. Johansson wrote:
just want to make sure I'm approaching things the rational way.

I want to put xen on a laptop just for playing around. It's currently running ubuntu breezy and I do use some USB devices (Astrophotography webcam, camera, scanner) on this laptop. what I'm hoping to do is keep the basic ubuntu kernel configuration for dom0 and run my desktop at everything from Dom0. Then I can create guinea pig virtual machines on top of that. Obviously, they would not have anything to do with X servers, USB devices, and the like.

I've been looking at a bunch of the pointers to setting up ubuntu and xen but nothing seems to describe how to take the ubuntu kernel configuration and map it to Dom0. Would it be as simple as just copying the .config, copying the patched ubuntu source over to a clean working space and doing what? old config? patching the kernal? giving it up as not a good idea?

You have the right idea, and you are correct in that it is not simple.

If you run your desktop in dom0, everything should work (assuming correct kernel config).

A good place to start for packages might be:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-08/msg00765.html
but those links don't seem to be up.

If you want you can compile and install from source, but remember to always use "make ARCH=xen" when in xen-{2.0,unstable}.hg/linux-$version directories -- that includes menuconfig and compiling.

As for xen versions, 2.0 is working great on a server for me and I haven't tried unstable yet (soon to be 3.0).

I guess that the bottom line is that if you want to get your hands dirty, then jump right in. Otherwise you might want to wait for distro specific packages.

Hope that helps,
Jeb
--
Jeb Campbell