[Xen-users] xen and ubuntu on laptop

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xen and ubuntu on laptop
From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:50:30 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:47:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
just want to make sure I'm approaching things the rational way.

I want to put xen on a laptop just for playing around. It's currently running ubuntu breezy and I do use some USB devices (Astrophotography webcam, camera, scanner) on this laptop. what I'm hoping to do is keep the basic ubuntu kernel configuration for dom0 and run my desktop at everything from Dom0. Then I can create guinea pig virtual machines on top of that. Obviously, they would not have anything to do with X servers, USB devices, and the like.

I've been looking at a bunch of the pointers to setting up ubuntu and xen but nothing seems to describe how to take the ubuntu kernel configuration and map it to Dom0. Would it be as simple as just copying the .config, copying the patched ubuntu source over to a clean working space and doing what? old config? patching the kernal? giving it up as not a good idea?

--- eric