Re: [Xen-users] How do threads show up in 'ps' without /lib/tls?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How do threads show up in 'ps' without /lib/tls?
From: Ernst Bachmann <e.bachmann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 09:13:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 07:11:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 02 September 2005 01:12, Eric Brown wrote:
> Will I see a separate process and pid for every thread of a process
> once I move /lib/tls to /lib/tls.disabled? (I usually do 'ps agux'.

Without NPTL (New Posix Thread Library) most distributions use LinuxThreads to
provide pthread support. That one implements threads as processes, so the
usual psutils have little to no way to see if a process is just a thread or a
forked child of the parent.

> Is there anything I should be concerned about? Assuming I'm correct,
> is there any way to hide these processes from my ps & top lists?

Maybe its possible to patch ps &co into hiding those threads, but if you use
lots of threaded apps, you should really try to use a xen compatible glibc
with NPTL.
Mutex operations, condition signalling etc are quite slow with the old
LinuxThreads, I've seen apps gaining 20% more performance just by switching
to NPTL.

/Ernst