Re: [Xen-users] COW-backed VBDs

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Arijit Ganguly <aganguly@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] COW-backed VBDs
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 03:23:10 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:21:41 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have asked this question before about COW backed VBD support in Xen. It
> would be really cool if I could share the same root FS between domains,
> each having its own COW system.

Indeed.

> I am typically using file-backed roots. Does Xen (as User-mode linux)
> provide utility to create COW disks (linked to a readOnly main disk) which
> can be used as VBDs.

You can use LVM2 snapshots or the Device Mapper to create a COW virtual
device.  LVM, at least, seems to have some issues with scalability when doing
lots of CoW-ing though - make sure dom0 has enough memory.

The other way of doing things is CoW at the filesystem, rather than at block
level.  E.g. combine NFS and UnionFS or use a CoW NFS server (someone in
Cambridge developed one but I don't know if the code is floating around).
I'll be working on a CoW filesystem also, later this year.

Cheers,
Mark