Re: [Xen-users] How to migrate?

To: Robert Fargher <fargher@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to migrate?
From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 13:12:41 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:12:53 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Robert Fargher wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
>   I'm in the process of learning Xen and am having a spot of bother with live
> migration of a domU.  It may be just a blind spot in my (lack of)
> understanding the documentation on migration but it makes no sense to me.
>
>   I have two machines, Rajah and Kodiak, both running Fedora Core 4 as domU
> with Fedora's xen-2-20050522 RPM installed.  Works fine.  I have a Fedora
> Core 2 domU system (Rajah1) running on Rajah in a 4 gig ext3 partition.
> Works fine.  Both machines are on the same VLAN.
>
>   I'd like to migrate Rajah1 from Rajah to a 400 GB partition in a logical
> volume on Kodiak.  So far I've not been able to figure out how to do so.
>
> Can someone  who actually knows how to do this please tell me what I have to
> do so that "xm migrate --live Rajah1 kodiak" actually works?

AFAIK, you can't do it as you have described. It would require syncing the
two partitions first, which is hardly a "live" type of operation.

AFAIK, Live migration requires that the VBD be accessable from both hosts
... so basically some sort of network aware filesystem... one of the
network block device (nbd) options should also work, but I have not yet
tried it (neither via NFS or NBD).

-Tom

tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   | Always bear in mind that your own resolution to
http://BareMetal.com/  | success is more important than any other one
web hosting since '95  | thing. - Abraham Lincoln