[Xen-users] The Xen of ndiswrapper

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] The Xen of ndiswrapper
From: Eric Anderson <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:46:50 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:45:40 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

Has anyone gotten dom0 to work with ndiswrapper?  I'm a newbie, but I've
managed to install dom0 and get it to boot, then compile a new dom0 and
get that to boot too.  I've turned on the appropriate .config params for
wireless (as far as I know).  I've downloaded/compiled/installed the
latest ndiswrapper.

When I 'modprobe ndiswrapper' (as root of course) from dom0 I get an
"operation not allowed" error.  Looking at the ndiswrapper source, it
appears that the failure occurs in the /sbin/loadndisdriver program,
which is executed by the ndiswrapper kernel module.

That got me to thinking ... could there be some fundamental wrongness in
trying to load a piece of code that was written to run at ring 0 under
Windows, under Xen?  Or might it simply be that ndiswrapper itself needs
patching for Xen?  Ndiswrapper works just fine on the same machine,
booted to a 2.6.10 kernel.  The network adapter is a PCI card.

Thanks,
Eric