Re: [Xen-users] memory question!

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] memory question!
From: Sascha Retzki <sretzki@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:18:33 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:30:35 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:13:26AM -0700, DMZ LEISHANGTHEM wrote:
> I have a question about memory. I have 8GB of RAM on a
> Dell PE 1850(usb disabled kernel, cos it gets locked
> up on heavy I/O). My domain0 has only 2 gigs of
> memory. I have 2 guest domains 512 each. Now when i
> try to create a 3rd guest domain of 512, xen wont let
> me do it. My confusion is "Is 4G the max amount of
> memory a domain can  get/ or is 4G the max amout of
> cumulative memory all the domains can get(ie. dom0,
> dom1, dom2... etc..combined all together)."
>
> can i have my domain0 have 4G ram, and at the same
> time domain1 have 4 G of ram?

4GB of RAM may be the maximum your kernel got - assuming its a x86,
you may need special code to support more than 4GB of RAM.

So, as Xen manages your RAM, and it seems like it does not support
more than 4gb (does anyone else :) ?), you should contact some
xen-developers asking for support, and wait for the next release.