Re: [Xen-users] trouble with TCP?

To: Kees Cook <kees@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] trouble with TCP?
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:35:43 -0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:34:47 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kees Cook wrote:
Hi! I've built a xen domain without bridging, and it seems that tcp is broken. ICMP works fine (I can ping either end), but TCP doesn't ACK in the xen client. I found one mention this on the mailing list back in March, but it didn't have an answer. I watched the communication in ethereal, and the client simply ignored the SYN,ACK packets from the host.

Can you tell where they were being dropped? Was netstat -s showing
anything?  Have you tried different TCP apps? ftp, hping, rsync, ssh?
Are you running IPSec or some other filtering?

I'm running:
Linux host 2.6.11.10-xen0 #1 Sun May 22 11:38:50 BST 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

I'm intentionally isolating my xen clients, but I need them to talk to the host. What sort of diagnostics can I provide to help track this down?

Thanks!

This is usually caused by a misconfiguration of the firewall
or having some needed port not open.

Could you collect the ethereal or tcpdump trace of that happening, and also
ifconfig, netstat -tan, netstat -s, sysctl -a, ip show rule, output?

thanks,
Nivedita