Re: [Xen-users] centos-4 bootstrapping

To: Mark Foster <mark@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] centos-4 bootstrapping
From: Nils Toedtmann <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 00:31:08 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:32:23 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Mittwoch, den 20.04.2005, 10:39 -0700 schrieb Mark Foster:
> I'm trying to bootstrap a CentOS-4 domU running on top of Debian dom0,
> and document the process for others to benefit from.
> See:
> http://mark.foster.cc/wiki/index.cgi?CentOS4onXen

Interesting!

> Anyone else running a similar setup?

Yes, but more easy bootstrapped from a rpm based distro using yum.

> After doing xm create and xm console Domain02 I have an unusable system.
> The error that stands out is:
> RAMDISK: Couldn't find valid RAM disk image starting at 0.
> ...and...
> modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU/modules.dep: No
> such file or directory
>
> However to get to this point I did rebuild my initrd.img using the
> process described in the Xen FAQ, adding in the lib/modules/2.6.10-xenU
> directory from the Dom0 system.

Did you try to compile all drivers (ext3 or such) you need into the domU
kernel itself? Then you should not need an initrd (my kernels do not
even have module support). To make udev working without initrd, mount
the centos disk from dom0, chroot into it and do

  MAKEDEV null console zero

before booting it. Work for me [tm]

/nils.