[Xen-users] "disks" -- Not understanding the docs at all

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] "disks" -- Not understanding the docs at all
From: Jeff Blaine <jblaine@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:30:25 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:30:11 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm really not following the 'disks' documentation at all.
If anyone could clear things up for me, I would appreciate
it.

I have 2 drives and intend to configure more than 1 domain.

1.  sda = Contains Fedora Core 3 + Twisted + iproute2 +
          brctl + Xen binary distribution.

          sda1 = /
          sda2 = swap
          sda3 = /tmp
          sda5 = /var
          sda6 = /data

2.  sdb = Contains a fresh install of Fedora Core 3 to
          be used for domains, as prompted by the following:

            "The first step in creating a new domain is
            to prepare a root filesystem for it to boot off.
            Typically, this might be stored in a normal
            partition, an LVM or other volume manager partition,
            a disk file or on an NFS server. A simple way to
            do this is simply to boot from your standard OS
            install CD and install the distribution into
            another partition on your hard drive."

          sdb1 = /
          sdb2 = swap
          sdb3 = /tmp
          sdb5 = /var
          sdb6 = /data

From here, I completely don't grasp what it is I am supposed
to do.

    "disk

     Set the first entry in this list to calculate the
     offset of the domain's root partition, based on the
     domain ID. Set the second to the location of /usr if you
     are sharing it between domains (e.g. disk =
     ['phy:your_hard_drive%d,sda1,w' % (base_partition_number
     + vmid), 'phy:your_usr_partition,sda6,r' ]"

I understand the Python array creation in that and nothing
else :)