Re: [Xen-users] Devices not available in domain

To: Gisbert Amm <gia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Devices not available in domain
From: "M.A. Williamson" <maw48@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Apr 2005 17:27:07 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:27:15 +0000
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I got my domain up and running, receive an IP via DHCP, can login as root and it works so far.

However, when I try to login as a non-privileged user, I get

bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

That's very odd!  Xen shouldn't really make a difference here.

Can you look at the output of "mount" and check whether your root filesystem is mounted readonly for some reason. Could you post it to the list, please?

Can you post the disk lines out of your config file?

And though the domain claims to be booting into runlevel 5, no X-Server is started. When I try to start X manually, I get this error message:

Fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)

For me it looks as if I had to do something about the mode the filesystem is mounted. Is that right? Or is there another reason why some devices are not available?

You can't just start an Xserver in a Xen domain since there isn't (yet) a virtual framebuffer device. The recommended way of doing this is to use remote X or VNC, as you would for graphical access to a physically separate machine.

HTH,
Mark

I did not find a hint in the manual or the wiki.

Regards,
Gisbert