[Xen-devel] Dom0 ACPI S3 patches

To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Dom0 ACPI S3 patches
From: Adi Kriegisch <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:11:56 +0200
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 01:15:36 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Konrad,

just to let you know: I am using your patches[1] on my notebook (Thinkpad
T61p) and they are working perfectly fine for me. I encountered three issues
which I could solve:
* Machine crashes some time after wakeup with "BUG: unable to handle kernel
  NULL pointer dereferenced at (null)". The crashing process was sshd as I
  am forwarding my window manager from a DomU to X with nouveau running on
  Dom0 with sdm.
  I fixed that by setting all interrupts in the BIOS to "auto-select"
  instead of the fixed default of "IRQ11". Since then I had no more crashes.
* The DomUs do not resync their clock after Dom0 waking up. They're
  basically continue to count the time as if the sleep never happened.
  I have to run 'ntpdate' on resume on all the DomUs. I am not sure if
  there are any side effects of this; probably there is a more simple way
  to tell a DomU to reread clock from Dom0?
* vbetool hangs at 100% CPU on resume (i/o waiting, I guess, because
  neither strace nor ltrace do show any activity). Simply killing vbetool
  (no -9) kind of "fixes" the issue. Probably I do not even need to run
  vbetool on resume.

Anyways, thank you very much for your efforts in bringing decent Dom0
support to upstream kernel! Your patches applied cleanly to the
Debian/testing package linux-image-3.0.0-1-amd64 (3.0.0-3) and work just
fine!

best regards,
    Adi Kriegisch

[1] http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-08/msg01358.html