Re: [Xen-devel] "right" way to gather domU stats in xen 3 & 4?

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] "right" way to gather domU stats in xen 3 & 4?
From: Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 17:59:27 +0100
Cc: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:04:27 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=V9tfbDF2/LthWK35ktNxXwJN2EyUKQunBhJIXup18/w=; b=mYxtL/NrEE2jA3JwAK5WMfMFmZi+D+PcbzUzVsC2Rjur1iTaL2F4Kdtr07Q69hftlB ZEHyb/eaiJXc0oYGv815XdjMDox3l0QPzdLIC7/ll7d9tAoXDO3sdDrwZX8A82MjQDcu UaafNOrxGvHKZPWkFD+LTllEHd98Dl5GHTsUA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dan,

2011/3/1 Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> Tmem has no value without guest kernel changes and getting those
> changes (even though very small) into the Linux kernel has proven
> to be a very long frustrating experience, which I hope will

I wondered for some time now... can't you just push it into Oracle VM
& OEL in the meantime?
Even as an unsupported kernel, It would "work for me" and my customers.

About the long frustrating experience, see my sig :)

> A couple of key things to plan for in your management tools:
> 1) Don't assume that the amount of memory used by a guest is
>   fixed and/or only under the control of your tools.

Thats why I've been asking so intently. Right now it will be great to
have a graph showing mem and maxmem, but when tmem is seeing more
adaption any baloon stats become less useful.
Also, as of today, half of the distros doesn't have working cpu
hotplug or balooning anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the update :)
Flo

--
the purpose of libvirt is to provide an abstraction layer hiding all
xen features added since 2006 until they were finally understood and