Re: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xen-unstable on OL6 (RHEL6 clone) problems
From: Todd Deshane <todd.deshane@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 18:13:30 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Feb 2011 15:14:28 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:from :date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Lu1zB0QVGRH3WMvWBUGwmTweOLbkySp21W2Z3hE7POw=; b=DfzMdBcSFTADk67WBPfoGG9xFEx+frKEUG9ni40+9s+QUEvK9i7neq4GWMlH+XeFy0 AZVygk6lKaNia5CojJj1ziX+NNqvyQULhTkmdeceRr0A5LOd/9OCmZ0m61BKl6ReYp9N VXH2PxHaiofiHlARednWS2HsMuEz1lTQBJMXc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Dan Magenheimer
<dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Due to some other commitments, it's been awhile since I've built
> a xen-unstable-based system, and with Oracle Linux 6 (a RHEL6
> clone) just released and with Xen 4.1 in release candidates, I
> decided to install and test on a new machine.
>
> As I sort-of expected, it's not going real well due to tools
> changes that I don't understand how to get around or fix.  I'm
> not a sysadmin guru so some or all of the problems may be
> trivial, and various googling helped a bit.
>
> One that I can't figure out is when I try to start xend,
> I get a long sequence of:
>
> /sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory
> /sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory
> /sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory
> /sys/class/net/virbr0/bridge: No such file or directory
>
> and networking in a guest fails to work.  This directory
> DOES exist.  And "brctl show" seems to be the source of
> those messages.
>
> In one semi-related googled link, I found that libvirtd
> may cause some problems, so I disabled that.  No luck,
> but the messages change to:
>
> /sys/class/net/tmpbridge/bridge: No such file or directory
>
> and starting xend caused my dom0 networking to go down.
>
> Any clues?  I'm guessing that I have to manually set up some
> network bridges that I never had to deal with before, but
> don't have any idea how to do that.

Disable bridging in the xend config and set up a xen bridge like this:
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging

Then, just make sure your domU config files use the same bridge name
you created.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. We have a work in progress wiki page to help you through the 4.1+ migration
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/MigrationGuideToXen4.1+