Re: [xen-devel][RFC] xl disk configuration handling

To: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [xen-devel][RFC] xl disk configuration handling
From: Kamala Narasimhan <kamala.narasimhan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:00:35 -0500
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 06:02:05 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to :cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=QCvVuCU1q0Q7FygEjArB1+Fv/aGpex9IdN03946btjc=; b=iHsVz8izW0b3Jr/YeuGgGbek8eK8LzCUL/hdpHw2YkekCuDMb4V0OmW8ICPfj6Bfgh WM6WbPhw+CnInR0ZvaDM2VtTTPFWpD9zQQOOK8T+xfWaCbMyItX1CmFxp/fqdcB5xWbt 6WAlU4owGDwOa2vg2Thzr4gxA+SphbaMk8URw=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>> do we really need to change the parsing function that much? I
>>> understand there are significant changes but this is a total rewrite.
>>> I am concerned about all the bugs we might find later after the
>>> release...
>>>
>> This is one change I would really like to go with.  Not only does it help
>> with
>> the changes we needed, it also gets rid of code duplication.  With this
>> change
>> block-attach can rely on the same parsing code (that is once I submit the
>> block-attach changes patch).
>
> It took us several iterations to get the parsing right, I would like to
> keep the state machine and the field parsing as it is, but each case
> could have its own function to implement it.  In other words, would you
> be OK with calling parse_disk_attrib, parse_disk_vdev_info and
> parse_disk_pdev_info from the main switch under DSTATE_PHYSPATH,
> DSTATE_VIRTPATH, etc?

Sure, I will go with appropriate DSTATE_* for each chunk we parse.

Kamala