Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [libvirt] [RFC] libxenlight driver

Stefano Stabellini writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [libvirt] [RFC] libxenlight
driver"):
> I should also mention that one of the design goals of libxenlight is
> that no libxenlight users (toolstacks like libvirt) should need to use
> anything else but libxenlight to perform Xen operations. So you
> shouldn't need to call any xenctrl functions or deal with xenstore
> directly.

This is quite important.  We have tried to do this and we have
succeeded for the "xl" command's requirements, at least.

However since we currently have only one user of libxl, "xl" itself,
it is very likely that you will find that there are deficiencies in
the libxl API which make it difficult to use properly in libvirt.

We would very much like to fix these problems so please report them
all to us.  We will work with you to make libxl have the API you need
so that you can write libvirt properly.

Inevitably this will mean that the libvirt adaptation will need the
libxl from Xen 4.2, not the Xen 4.1 version which is currently in
freeze.  However in Xen 4.1 xend is still supported.

Please also send your libvirt patches to xen-devel for review, etc.

> I don't know much about libvirt but I would write a brand new
> libxenlight driver.

Yes, absolutely.  Having taken a look at the existing code in libvirt
for driving xenstore/xen/etc., none of it looks sensibly reuseable.

Ian.