[Xen-users] Re: [Xen-devel] Re: xen-unstable: ImportError: No module nam

> >> ['', '/usr/lib/python2.6', '/usr/lib/python2.6/plat-linux2',
> >> '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-old',
> >> '/usr/lib/python2.6/lib-dynload',
> >> '/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages',
> >> '/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages', '/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6']

vs.

> /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/xen/xm/main.py

So the Xen python bits are not installed to a path which the python
interpreter is searching.

Xen relies on the python distutils library to build and install its
python bits and makes no specific reference to site-packages in its
makefiles (that I can find).

The Debian python policy
(http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python.html)
suggests that this change of location is deliberate from python 2.6 onwards.
However /usr/lib/python2.6/distutils/command/install.py still makes reference
to site-packages which is no doubt where it is coming from.

At this point my Debian python-fu is running low but I think you have
found a bug in Debian and should report it to them as such.

I also suspect that the fact that distutils is installing
non-packaged/locally-built python bits in /usr/lib/python2.6 rather
than /usr/local/lib/python2.6 is also a bug in the python system.

Ian.