[Xen-devel] Freeze schedule

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] Freeze schedule
From: Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 17:14:31 +0000
Cc: Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:15:39 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
So far we haven't been very good about writing down our freeze policy.
Here is a proposal with some suggestions and projected dates:

  31 Dec
  Feature submission freeze

    Ie, deadline for first version of new feature patches.  New
    feature patches posted before this point can be committed
    afterwards if they need the time to get into shape.  Anything
    not posted at all before this point has missed the boat.

  All queued patches applied, but no later than 14 Jan
  Feature code freeze

    New feature patches not committed after this point; anything
    intended for 4.1 not in a good final form by this point has
    missed the boat.

    RC1 at this point, unless serious or blocking bugs are present.

  31 Jan  Slushy code freeze

    No further patches unless they either
        - fix an important bug; or
        - are very trivial and low-risk.

    All patches to receive an ack from a maintainer other than the
    committer.

  14 Feb  Hard code freeze

    No further patches other than for release-critical bugs.

    All patches to receive an ack from a maintainer other than the
    committer.

  28 Feb  Release.

In all cases, the plan is subject to modification, and to the making
of freeze exceptions by the maintainers following consultation.

Ian.