RE: [Xen-devel] QEMU upstreaming: status and todo

To: Stefano Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-devel] QEMU upstreaming: status and todo
From: "Kamala Narasimhan (3P)" <kamala.narasimhan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:19:12 -0500
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Anthony, Perard <anthony.perard@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 02:57:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Are the two really dependent on each other? Our virtual firmware
> seems to
> > work okay now, it took a while to get there, and it now rarely needs
> to be
> > fixed. I guess I don't care about the legacy rombios/vgabios bits too
> much,
> > but I'd be unhappy about throwing away all our ACPI stuff. That was a
> pain
> > to actually get working well. That means you can have
> > tools/firmware/{rom,vga}bios if you want, but trickier to mess with
> anything
> > under tools/firmware/hvmloader.
>
> I was proposing only to replace rombios: from a conversation we had
> with
> the SeaBios maintainer at LPC, I think SeaBios can be made to work from
> hvmloader without too much trouble. However I haven't read the code so
> this needs to be tested.

Here is one more point to add to Stefano's note and to clarify Keir's concern
about throwing away our ACPI stuff - There will be some ACPI tables setup code
that is in our hvmloader that wouldn't be needed as SeaBIOS would do the ACPI
tables setup but from what I heard, SeaBIOS provides a way for us to feed it a
list of our SSDTs and more for it to take it from there and load them.  So, I
believe we won't end up losing any ACPI functionality we added if that is your
concern.

Kamala