Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU upstreaming: status and todo

To: Łukasz Oleś <lukaszoles@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] QEMU upstreaming: status and todo
From: Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 19:15:14 +0000
Cc: Anthony Perard <anthony.perard@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Kamala Narasimhan \(3P\)" <kamala.narasimhan@xxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stabellini <Stefano.Stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stefano
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 11:15:04 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, Łukasz Oleś wrote:
> Great job, it sounds really interesting.
>
> Is it usable in current state? Can I test it on current xen 4.0.x?

Yes, it is usable even though without the VGA dirty bits is going to be
much slower. I suggest to wait until the VGA dirty bits are supported
before trying to use it, otherwise it only makes sense if you use
nographic=1.
It could work with xen 4.0.x but the command line options are different
and at the moment the only toolstack that supports the new format is
libxenlight in xen-unstable.

> Can You write what are the coolest things in upstream qemu?

The codebase is much cleaner and easier to work with. This means far
less bugs and easier development in the future.
Regarding user visible features, the followings are the firsts that came
to my mind:

- multiple vnc connections at the same time;

- audio over vnc;

- sdl zoom (you can resize the guest's window, Qemu takes care of the
  scaling);

- support for linux aio, this means much faster dma transfers from the guest;

also several very interesting features are being developed by the Qemu
Community, they are not ready yet, but they should be useful soon:

- AHCI emulation (much faster emulated disks);

- Spice;

- Q35 chipset emulation (pci express within the guest).

I am sure there is more...