re: [Xen-devel] Xen balloon driver discuss

Thank you for your kindly help.

Well, on last mail, you mentioned that balloon will make pod_entries equal
to cache_size as soon as it start to work when guest starts up.
>From my understanding, if we start guest such as:

xm cr xxx.hvm maxmem=2048 memory=512

then, we should set the /local/domain/did/memory/target to 522240 ( (
512M-2M) * 1204, 2M for VGA in your another patch? )
to tell the balloon driver in guest to inflate, right? And when balloon
driver balloon to let guest memory has this target,
I think pod_entires will equal to cached_size, right?

I did some experiment on this, the result shows different.

Step 1.
xm cr xxx.hvm maxmem=2048 memory=512

at the very beginning, I printed out domain tot_pages, 1320288,
pod.entry_count 523776, that is 2046M, pod.count 130560, that is 512M

(XEN) tot_pages 132088 pod_entries 523776 pod_count 130560

currently, /local/domain/did/memory/target in default will be written to
524288

after guest start up, balloon driver will balloon, when finish, I can see
pod.entry_count reduce to 23552, pod,count 14063

(XEN)     DomPage list too long to display
(XEN) Tot pages 132088  PoD entries=23552 cachesize=14063

Step 2.

In my understanding, /local/domain/did/memory/target should be at least 510
* 1024 , and then pod_entries will equal to cache_size

I use  500, So I did: xm mem-set domain_id  500

then I can see pod.entry_count reduce to 22338, pod,count 15921, still not
equal

(XEN) Memory pages belonging to domain 4:
(XEN)     DomPage list too long to display
(XEN) Tot pages 132088  PoD entries=22338 cachesize=15921

Step 3.

Only after I did : xm mem-set domain_id  470
Pod_entries is equal to pod.count
(XEN)     DomPage list too long to display
(XEN) Tot pages 130825  PoD entries=14677 cachesize=14677

Later from the code, I learnt that those two values are forced to be equal,
in

700 out_entry_check:
701     /* If we've reduced our "liabilities" beyond our "assets", free some
*/
702     if ( p2md->pod.entry_count < p2md->pod.count )
703     {
704         p2m_pod_set_cache_target(d, p2md->pod.entry_count);
705     }
706

So in conclude, it looks like something goes wrong, the PoD entries should
equal to cachesize(pod.count)
as soon as the balloon driver inflate to max - target, right?

Many thanks.