Re: re: [Xen-devel] Xen balloon driver discuss

Hi George:

        Appreciate for the details, I get more understandings but still have
some confusions.
   1.Is it necessery to balloon to max-target at dom U right startup?(for, xm
cr xxx.hvm maxmem=2048 memory=1024; max-target is 2048-1024) Say is it safe to
balloon to let the guest has only 512M memory in total? or 1536 M(in this
situation, i guess the pod entry will
also reduce and extra 512M memory will be added to Pod cache,right)?

2. Suppose we have a xen wide PoD memorym pool, that is accessable for every
guest domains, when the guest needs a page, it get the page from the pool, and
we can still use
balloon strategy to have the guest free pages back to the pool.  So if the
amount of all domain
memory inuse is less than host physial memory, it is safe. And when no memory
available from
host, domain need new memory may pause for for waiting for others to free, or
use swap memory, is it possible?

3. If item 2 is possible, it looks more like tmem, what will tmem do when all
memory on request is larger than host physical memory? I will have detail look
tomorrow.

Thanks for your kindly help.

From my iPad

2010-11-29,19:19,George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> :