Re: [Xen-devel] wrong vmexit size in xenalyze

To: Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] wrong vmexit size in xenalyze
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 17:48:39 +0000
Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Keir Fraser <keir@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 09:49:27 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:sender:received :in-reply-to:references:date:x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject :from:to:cc:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=44MVzBUOtEg3C7ByplSFdh6YeOnIRQrCCGeI4ik3fro=; b=aoqzRc0AkHRuOATKKbQOkHq8Z3ewdGUQgRv4HXOwK8Nou9O8qk5vi7WYPnmyGZ0VN4 h6rq/z2hD/LRiaPjbkX6/jc6dy7D6ewLtvbYQLN2dSPgMXV6GWeeutbSwQGHLh5qukpp Ic9mf6b4Y0I8fo4ItfmV/Kym50j6cpfGEatsc=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A lot of times not only the size of the record changes across
releases, but the ordering of the content.  Checking the sizes (and
also things like checking for impossible values; e.g., RIP values that
can't actually be generated on real hardware) is meant so that a file
change will probably cause a meaningful warning immediately, rather
than just having strange results and me spending half a day trying to
figure out what's causing unexpected behavior, only to find that it
was a change in the trace file layout I didn't catch.

We can easily set it up so that these kinds of sanity checks don't
stop xenalyze from processing -- in fact, the basic infrastructure is
already there for classifying errors.  I'll post something next week
that classifies unexpected sizes differently and allows Xen to keep
processing the records.

Olaf: BTW, the off-by-one count won't result in short records; the
trace code will copy as many bytes as it's told into the trace buffer;
so the integrity of the record metadata is maintained. (Technically, I
suppose some information from the stack could leak; probably not a big
issue, given that only root in dom0 can take traces.)

 -George