Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Panic on boot on Sun Blade 6270

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:43:08AM -0300, Dan Gora wrote:
> I guess that I can try and redo everything again.  I've been working
> with xen a grand total of two weeks, so I'm a little confused about
> the building process.  Do you have to somehow build xen against the
> kernel that you are going to use or can you just use the default
> 2.6.18 kernel which gets downloaded automatically?

Xen hypervisor and tools can be built separately from the dom0 kernel.

> Like I said, I
> just cloned the repo (xen-testing-3.4.hg) and ran 'make dist'.  Since
> it's panicking so early in the hypervisor I didn't think that it could
> possibly be due to some kernel difference.

You could just grab the latest xen-3.4-testing.hg and do:

make xen
make tools
make stubdom

Now the compiled xen+tools+stubdom is in dist/ directory.

make install-xen
make install-tools
make install-stubdom

After that you could grab whatever dom0 kernel, compile and install it.

latest 2.6.18-xen.hg:
hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg

Or instructions for 2.6.31 / 2.6.32 pv_ops dom0 here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

> Also, is it expected that
> the default .hg tree xen will *just work* on a SLES distro by running
> install.sh or do you need a bunch of SuSE specific patches?

The default hg tree should work.

-- Pasi