[Xen-devel] state dumps on large machines corrupting time

To: "Keir Fraser" <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] state dumps on large machines corrupting time
From: "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:04:26 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 05:05:25 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Keir,

since state dumps (namely 'd' and '0') may take rather long on large
machines, time handling can get broken (we observed this in reality
on a system with 96 CPUs). Do you see any alternative to converting
the respective dumping routines to use continuation tasklets (e.g.
for 'd' dump the local CPU's state right away, but process all other
CPUs step by step from a tasklet action)? For non-IRQ-callback
keys this would generally seem reasonable (as their handlers get
invoked from a tasklet anyway), but for IRQ-callback ones this
bears the uncertainty that not all information might make it out of
the system.

Jan