[Xen-devel] xenheap pages mapped by dom0

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] xenheap pages mapped by dom0
From: George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:04:02 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 06:04:25 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=9gI3NxyNb19wpFjUODx8edxNmy1T31M8w+/sdaNj0IY=; b=NeHYQOTOMNymaMPdrPuBCKEgfnYUak2E+/0qzSEoPltGjDsyxK/bV2yKe2RqcuhTYo Bsssh+YWa4rawfrBwWZxjIsy6pjcolZYc+2gQJR6IfRgC02h0hTfITFaA+EgQh1xFb9+ lExzXE3IeV3zPAFOeQw9sniRwe9NveiWjJ8ag=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What's the standard practice regarding freeing xenheap pages that have
been shared with dom0 (and may currently be mapped)?  Do we need to
make sure they're unmapped before we free them, or can we just call
free_xenheap_pages() and let the reference counting take care of
actually freeing them when dom0 unmaps them (if ever)?

I'm looking at allowing xentrace buffers to be resized, and need to
deal with potentially freeing pages which may be mapped by dom0.  If
it's as simple as free-and-forget, I'll include that functionality; if
it's more complicated, I'll punt until another time (as I really only
care about increasing the size of each cpu's buffer, not resizing
buffers).

 -George