Re: [Xen-devel] Xen killing my e1000s?

To: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen killing my e1000s?
From: Nathan Stratton <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 18:11:09 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:11:59 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

I have this Xeon 3430-based system with a pair of on-board PCI-e e1000s. When I'm running under Xen, they disappear in use. That is, the PCI devices themselves seem to give up the ghost, and lspci -x shows all 0xff for their config spaces. They come back to life when I reset the machine.

When I boot under native Linux all seems fine.

I'm running with VT-d and all the other features enabled; I haven't tried turning them off yet. There are no obvious messages from the kernel or Xen complaining about anything.

This is a new machine, so it could be an outright hardware problem, but it seems like an odd failure-mode for a hardware fault (I'd expect on-board devices to either work or not work, and not come back on reset).

Anyone got any ideas?

I am seeing something similar with my Xeon systems and igb (Intel 82576) cards. I see the ethernet ports die on my switch and the whole xen box crashes. Nothing in the logs at all, only clue I have is that the ethernet ports bounce on the switch.

<>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com