Re: [Xen-devel] Question about vcpu_avail

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Question about vcpu_avail
From: Michal Novotny <minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:27:08 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:27:43 -0800
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 11/24/2009 04:20 PM, Keir Fraser wrote:
On 24/11/2009 15:08, "Michal Novotny"<minovotn@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Yeah, I think you get it. In your example: if the user specifies maxvcpus=4,
vcpus=2 then xm turns that into vcpus=4, vcpu_avail=3 before sending it to
xend.

Right, so, you mean that I should implement it into `xm` command itself
and not XenD ? Well, what about people using eg. libvirt with upstream
Xen? This way it should not be working since XM is not used... right?
If you add new config fields to xend, then libvirt callers are going to need
to be modified to expose them to users, aren't they (e.g., in a GUI or
whatever)? If the callers need modifying anyway, then they can just be
modified in a similar way to what I propose for xm, and deconstruct into the
config primitives that xend already understands.

  -- Keir

Well, the thing is whether it isn't better to be added to Xend itself instead of xm ? This could avoid further modifications. Maybe the callers have to be modified a little but I am not sure.

-- Michal