Re: [Xen-devel] How does the self-ballooning daemon calculate the selft

To: Dan Magenheimer <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] How does the self-ballooning daemon calculate the selftarget?
From: Jia Rao <rickenrao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:18:54 -0500
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:19:24 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=XejQkHJHYCDmDI90iAXQQ3phkBZLM83TG/Q6bJcrIj4=; b=vBCbTr77symHzBA7IlHDmSf67sgw1molTDavzCxRTji08JdIy4Gqcp+NcZofogdQij eVLzoYTarFF8uiCjYyAPcvC5aOVMM/pMB5+haCdRnRG5oIDZfQ512XjtE4iAkV+13l0p hGrQYbiEgXNcmLUZrhDJ1G4PzKA60OtY0bdM0=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.
The XENBALLOON_MINMEM was set to 0 in my case.

I am wondering if the /proc/meminfo is a reliable source for memory utilization of a guest. In my case, the guest stays in idle for several hours, the metrics in /proc/meminfo is seldom changed.
For example, the Committed_AS and Active metrics stay almost the same for several hours.

In earlier kernels, the Active and Inactive metrics are periodically updated by a kernel thread kscand, which seems to has been removed from the 2.6 kernel.

From what I have observed, the meminfo is correctly updated if the memory demand from the guest is increasing. However, once the memory demand drops or be almost zero (idle), the meminfo is not periodically updated. This might be a problem for the self-balloon daemon to deflate the balloon.

Thanks,
Jia