Re: [Xen-devel] pvops: AHCI problems with SB600

To: Patrick Scharrenberg <pittipatti@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] pvops: AHCI problems with SB600
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:06:34 -0400
Cc: Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@xxxxxxxx>, Xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:11:11 -0700
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 04:46:16PM +0200, Patrick Scharrenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just tested this branch and found that the system gets stuck on
> initializing the AHCI controller (AMD SB600).

Ooooh. Can you give some more details on the hardware flavor? CPU? Memory?
What happens if you use dom0_mem=max:512MB or pass in 'irqpoll' to the
Linux kernel?

> Please find the error messages attached as png (unfortunately netconsole
> doesn't work either)

What are the errors for netconsole? Is it not initializing the right ethernet
device?
Is the ethernet device compiled in? Can you paste what you have in your
grub config?

For example, this is what I have:

 kernel /xen.gz  com1=115200,8n1,0xcf00,0  console=com1,vga guest_loglvl=all
dom0_mem=max:512MB
 module /vmlinuz debug
netconsole=6665@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/eth1,6666@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/00:25:11:18:A1:2E
console=tty console=xvc0 irqpoll loglevel=10

That particular machine didn't come with a serial port. But the $14 PCI serial
card works without fault.

> When booting the same kernel natively without xen, all works fine
> (including netconsole).

OK. I need the kernel boot log to figure out what might be a potential problem.
Let's try to get your netconsole working or your serial console? Does this
machine even have a serial port? Maybe you can use that to capture the kernel
output?